Call for papers: ARTICLES AND POP REVIEWS
True to the PopMeC spirit, we would like to take advantage of this (confusing and boring) quarantine moment to keep on producing and sharing engaging, stimulating, fun academic work. We invite you to browse the academic blog popmec.hypotheses.org, and write write write! Contribute to feed our space with your work, have fun jotting down your thoughts, ideas, reshaping your working papers, putting your pop review out there!
We welcome full papers (max. 2-3000 words including bibliographic references) on topics related with popular culture, including (but not limited to):
- the representation of specific ethnic / religious / gender / etc. groups in the US popular media and culture (including mainstream, alternative, and self-representations)
- the articulation of American national ethos, myths, symbols and heroes
- public history and the representation of US history for the non-specialized public
- the reception of popular culture products and their publics
- comparative studies of contrasting / similar representations
- the US society as represented through humor, caricature, and satire
- deconstruction of national storytelling and stereotyped narratives
We also welcome critical reviews of popular culture products (max. 1-2000 words) including:
- comics and graphic novels
- movies and (digital) TV series
- literature dealing with topics of self/representation
- popular music
- popular digital media channels (eg. YouTube)
Please, check our refreshed author guidelines page and don’t hesitate to drop us a line with any doubt or inquiry you might have at firstname.lastname@example.org. The languages of our blog are English and Spanish; nonetheless, we strongly recommend limiting the use of Spanish coherently with your chosen topic.
Send your proposal to email@example.com attaching your text, inclusive of a short bio (100-120 words), name, affiliation, and email contact in a single file. All proposals will be peer-reviewed on a rolling basis by our editors, who will get back at you with the shortest notice possible.