PopMeC CFP | The US Representation in Popular Culture and New Media
Call for peer-reviewed articles for the academic blog of the PopMeC Association for US Popular Culture Studies (popmec.hypotheses.org ISSN 2660-8839).
Our research work delves into how the US—their history, society, and diverse cultures—have been represented in popular media and cultural creations. The blog aims at providing a collaborative, engaging, and fair environment for any interested scholar, promoting the sharing of knowledge, experience, and ideas across disciplines and thematic fields. We’re also working to foster a stimulating space for early career researchers and postgraduate students in North American studies, thus we’ll warmly welcome their proposals as well
We welcome full papers (about 3000 words, bibliographic references excluded) on topics related with popular culture, including (but not limited to):
- the representation of specific ethnic / religious / gender / etc. groups in the US popular media and culture (including mainstream, alternative, and self-representations)
- the de/construction of national storytelling and stereotyped narratives
- the reception of popular culture texts and fan studies
- comparative studies of contrasting / similar representations
- the US society as represented through humor, caricature, and satire
- dystopian/utopian fiction
- the representation of science, as well as specific perspectives in science fiction
film, (web)TV series, graphic narratives, pop music, new media
All proposals will go through double blind peer-review.
We also welcome critical reviews of specific popular culture products (max. 1500 words) including:
- comics and graphic novels
- movies and (web)TV series
- literature dealing with topics of self/representation
- popular music
- popular digital media channels (eg. YouTube)
Send your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org attaching your text, inclusive of a short bio (100-120 words), name, affiliation, and email contact in a single file. All proposals will be peer-reviewed on a rolling basis and our editors will get back to you with the shortest notice possible.